|Current Score:||110 out of 110|
|Kept Score:||110 out of 110|
The purpose of this assignment is to apply the principles of pharmacology to support clinical decisions when prescribing for common acute or chronic diseases. Students will synthesize and apply current knowledge regarding pharmacology to the applied case and discuss the mechanisms of action of the various agents used in the treatment of childhood asthma. A summary of the case will also be presented in the SOAP format which will be explained within the assignment.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
- CO 1: Identify the most commonly prescribed agents in the major drug classes. (POs 1, 2)
- CO 2: Make appropriate evidence-based therapeutic treatment decisions for individual patients utilizing drugs from the major drug classes. (POs 1, 2)
- CO 3: Apply knowledge of pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and pharmacogenomics in prescribing patient treatment. (POs 1, 2)
- CO 4: Distinguish internal and external environment factors affecting drug action, reaction, efficacy, and interaction. (POs 1, 2)
- CO 5: Identify client indicators of therapeutic, ineffective, adverse responses and side effects to drug therapy. (POs 1, 2)
- The Late Assignment Policy applies to this assignment.
This assignment is due by Sunday 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 6.
Total Points Possible: 110
Preparing the Assignment
You will be presented with a patient case and then answer a series of questions.
- Review the case information and then answer each required question with a succinct, informative answer.
- Answers should be one to five sentences in length.
- Some questions may require a short one-sentence answer, whereas others require a five-sentence answer for a complete explanation.
- Consider the most common and obvious answer.
- A scholarly reference is required for answers where a source such as textbook or clinical practice guideline is used to develop your response.
- Resources to support completion of this assignment:
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. (2020). 2020 global strategy for prevention, diagnosis and management of COPD (Links to an external site.)
- Global Initiative for Asthma. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention, 2020. Available from www.ginasthma.org (Links to an external site.)
- Direct link to pocket guide: https://ginasthma.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/GINA-2020-full-report_-final-_wms.pdf (Links to an external site.)
- Feedback is provided immediately after completing this assignment only. The feedback provided is general and non-specific to protect the integrity of this assignment due to the unfortunate nature of answer sharing among many students.
This assignment is completed in a quiz format; however, it is not an exam and you are encouraged to use your textbook and course materials. There are 11 questions worth 10 points each for a total of 110 points.
Lockdown browser is not required and there are no keyed correct answers to review. Course faculty will post assignment feedback for your review in the gradebook when grading is complete. There is no time limit for this assignment. It needs to be completed in one sitting and should be completed at the time it is begun as your answers may not be saved to return to it later.