This discussion board content is intended to facilitate learning for students through engaging dialogues as they achieve the desired learning outcomes/competencies associated with their course in a manner that empowers them to organize, integrate, apply and critically appraise their knowledge to their selected field of practice.
The use of discussions provides students with opportunities to contribute graduate level-appropriate knowledge and experience to the topic in a safe, caring, and fluid environment that models professional and social interaction. The ebb and flow of a discussion is based upon the composition of student and faculty interaction in the quest for relevant scholarship.
Participation in the discussion generates opportunities for students to actively engage in the written ideas of others by carefully reading, researching, reflecting, and responding to the contributions of their peers and course faculty. Discussions foster the development of members into a community of learners as they share ideas and inquiries, consider perspectives that may be different from their own, and integrate knowledge from other disciplines.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Synthesize knowledge of population to the role of political advocacy as an Advanced Practice Nurse. (CO 5, 7)
- Appraise ethical and legal principles to the provision of care by the Advanced Practice Nurse (CO 5, 7)
- Initial prompt due by Wednesday, 11:59 PM MT of week 8
- One peer and one faculty or two peer posts due by Saturday 11:59 PM MT of week 8
A 10% late penalty will be imposed for initial discussions posted after the weekly deadline regardless of the number of days late. No postings will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Saturday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0). Week 8 discussion closes on Saturday at 11:59pm MT.
Total Points: 60 Points
- Go to your state government web page. Find one health policy enacted within the last two (2) years at the state level. Write down the bill number and the sponsors of the bill and include this information in your initial post.
- Write a minimum of a one-page critical analysis summary of the policy. (250 words double spaced, APA). Your summary should integrate the concepts of advocacy, population health, and the ANA ethical statements (“The Code”), and course readings, to include a minimum of one course scholarly article (provided within the course). Be sure to speak to the role of advocacy and population health.
- Respond to a minimum of two (2) peers/faculty posts with one (1) paragraph of 4-5 sentences integrating one scholarly source utilized in an in-text citation/APA.
- Posts should be made on a minimum of 3 separate days/dates.
- All faculty replies to students must be responded to directly in the discussion board.
- Minimum posting is:
- Initial discussion board post to the weekly prompt, two peer posts (if there are no faculty postings), or one peer post and a faculty post.
**To see view the grading criteria/rubric, please click on the 3 dots in the box at the end of the solid gray bar above the discussion board title and then Show Rubric.