This discussion board content is intended to facilitate learning for students through engaging dialogues as they achieve the desired learning outcomes/competencies associated with their course in a manner that empowers them to organize, integrate, apply and critically appraise their knowledge to their selected field of practice.
The use of discussions provides students with opportunities to contribute graduate level-appropriate knowledge and experience to the topic in a safe, caring, and fluid environment that models professional and social interaction. The ebb and flow of a discussion is based upon the composition of student and faculty interaction in the quest for relevant scholarship.
Participation in the discussion generates opportunities for students to actively engage in the written ideas of others by carefully reading, researching, reflecting, and responding to the contributions of their peers and course faculty. Discussions foster the development of members into a community of learners as they share ideas and inquiries, consider perspectives that may be different from their own, and integrate knowledge from other disciplines
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Discriminate among various screening tools that may be used in the provision of care as an Advanced Practice Nurse (CO4)
- Initial prompt due by Wednesday, 11:59 PM MT of week 2
- One peer and one faculty or two peer posts due by Sunday 11:59 PM MT of week 2
A 10% late penalty will be imposed for initial discussions posted after the weekly deadline regardless of the number of days late. No postings will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0). Week 8 discussion closes on Saturday at 11:59pm MT.
Points: 60 points
- Your course faculty will provide you with topic/s for the Week 2 Discussion Board. You will need to check the NR503 course Announcements for the topic/s document for this Week 2 Discussion Board regarding screening.
- Next, choose a diagnostic or screening method (related to your choice from the list of health issues above). You may use one of the following web sites to locate a screening tool, a scholarly article, or a tool from a professional web site of your choice (for example, from the American Psychological Association). U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
- Reply to the following prompt:
- Describe the diagnostic or screening tool selected, its purpose, and what age group it targets.
- Has it been specifically tested in this age group?
- Next, discuss the predictive ability of the test. For instance, how do you know the test is reliable and valid? What are the reliability and validity values? What are the predictive values? Is it sensitive to measure what it has been developed to measure, for instance, HIV, or depression in older adults, or Lyme disease? Would you integrate this tool into your advanced practice based on the information you have read about the test, why or why not?
- You should include a minimum of two (2) scholarly articles from the last five (5) years (3 is recommended).
- Respond to a minimum of two (2) individuals, peer and/or faculty, with a scholarly and reflective post of a minimum of two (2) paragraphs of 4-5 sentences. A minimum of one (1) scholarly article should be utilized to support the post in addition to your textbook.
- Your work should have in-text citations integrating at a minimum one scholarly article and the course textbook. APA format should be utilized to include a reference list. Correct grammar, spelling, and APA should be adhered to when writing, work should be scholarly without personalization or first – person use.