It is obvious that Jenna has a lot of work to do. Please develop responses to the following questions:
- What would you recommend as the best mix of cost reduction strategies (e.g., reduction in force, redeployment, early retirement)? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each of the strategies listed? Can you think of any additional strategies? Do you agree that a reduction in force is the best approach? Why or why not?
- Assume that Jenna will need to orchestrate a layoff as part of the cost savings solution. Evaluate the different criteria options proposed to select the employees to lay off (e.g., performance, time in job, salary, skillset needed going forward, project position eliminated, and temporary headcount). What are the advantages of each option? What are the risks of each option? Are there other criteria that can be used? If you were Jenna, which criteria would you be inclined to use and why?
- Assume performance is used as one of the selection criteria. Discuss in detail the specific performance data Jenna will need to obtain and how she will access it.
- What steps should Jenna take to minimize the risk of wrongful terminations? What legal issues should be considered?
- What is your assessment of the two draft communications provided (the letter to affected employees and the e-mail to all employees)? Is there anything you would change? If so, what?
- How can Jenna address negative morale within the department, increase employee motivation and engagement, and mitigate any retention issues?
- How can Jenna continue to ensure high performance among remaining team members? How can she proactively mitigate performance issues?